Join our family and come work, play and live in the beautiful Colorado Rockies!
Whether you enjoy skiing, snowmobiling, fishing or hiking, Grand County is your opportunity for adventure.
Grand Lake Plumbing & Heating Company is a family-owned company that has been in continuous operation for over 100 years! We’ve been serving the plumbing and heating needs of Grand County since Gus Spitzmiller, a traveling plumber, homesteaded in the Grand Lake area around 1906.
His son, Gordon Spitzmiller, carried on the business upon Gus’s retirement. Frank Appelhans came to work for Gordon in 1973. Frank took over sole ownership upon Gordon’s passing in 1990. Travis and Melissa Appelhans continue to carry on the Grand Lake Plumbing & Heating tradition.
Today, Grand Lake Plumbing & Heating is a leader in the community offering: plumbing and heating services, water treatment, well water systems and drain services. Our passion is caring for our community, team members and clients.
We are proud to have been voted best plumbing company in Grand County for over 10 years.
- Competitive salary
- Ongoing training programs
- Up to 4 weeks paid vacation and 6 additional public holidays off a year
- Employer Matching 401K Plan
- Health Insurance
- Optional Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Incentive bonuses above hourly rate
- Paid company uniforms
- Paid Tools Account
- Housing options available
- Company vehicle for qualifying positions
- $2500 sign on bonus for licensed journeyman plumber or NATE certified heat tech
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Your focus will be to diagnose and repair residential and some commercial drain systems and lead customers to informed and confident buying decisions. Clear and minimize any conditions causing sewer blockages (including frozen lines) using various specialized equipment.
The Drain Technician supports and coordinates these essential functions:
- Provide sewer inspections to ensure proper functioning drains.
- Utilize sewer camera to assess drain lines for diagnosing or assessing condition.
- Ensuring customer satisfaction with every job through communication and hard work.
- Maintain communication with dispatch, your manager, parts and installation teams.
- Keep your company truck clean, inside and out.
- Maintaining a safe working environment and tools.
- Keep your truck inventory up to date.
- Properly complete job summaries and invoicing.
- Participate in training allowing you to grow and develop as a professional.
- Have or be willing to get the proper certifications. We can help you with this.
- Run basic plumbing repair jobs such as: installing and repairing toilets and faucets.
Company Core Values
- Be Positive: Actively look for the bright side.
- Be a Team Player: Be a person people count on.
- Be Solution Oriented: The business of providing solutions
- Be Your Best: Create raving fans
- Do the Right Thing: Make choices everyone can rally around
- Be dependable, punctual and arrive at work with a positive attitude.
- Celebrate and share both you and your team’s successes!
- Arrive each day with a clean and professional appearance and be ready to work.
- Take responsibility appropriate for the position and the pay.
- Respect company property and wash and maintain company provided trucks as necessary to maintain a clean professional appearance.
- Accurately record daily timesheets.
- Report safety, quality or employee concerns in a timely manner.
- Do not steal, this includes scrap material.
- Be accountable to your position and the results from your work.
- Complete work in time allotted or timely communicate the reasons work cannot be completed in the time frame allotted as well as the time and resource required to complete the work.
- Do not smoke in the office or on the customer’s property or take frequent “smoke breaks.”
- Invest in yourself and your education.
- Respect our customers’ homes and their environments.
- Do good work…The kind of work a consumer will immediately recognize as good quality, craftsmanship or professionalism.
- Give great customer service.
- Communicate with your peers, supervisor and management.
- Being flexible and understanding schedule changes due to customer needs, emergencies or staffing needs.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. This individual must be willing to pursue, develop and participate in continuing education, and you must be willing to learn if not known to effectively operate hand tools and equipment. The technician must have the necessary hand and power tools to support efficient and professional repairs or installation. Must possess good organizational skills and be able to communicate and work well with people. The Drain Technician must meet or exceed shop minimums goals. Specifics required to be successful in this position are:
- Must know local Mechanical Codes and be able to apply them in a practical manner on each job.
- Have the knowledge to run, repair, and maintain cable machines, knowing what machines and blades to use and when.
- Have basic knowledge of and ability to run jetting equipment.
- Capable of or willing to learn the use of camera inspection equipment.
- Must be able to work with inspectors, suppliers and co-worker technicians to ensure efficient and proper repair or installation while abiding by all codes.
- Must be able to draw simple diagrams and be able to read wiring and piping diagrams.
- Have a basic knowledge of basic plumbing repairs or willingness to learn.
- Willingness to work extra hours when dealing with complex situations and join the on-call rotation.
Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Required: A high school diploma or equivalent.
Must be able to read and write English well enough to read and review invoices, scopes of work, and policies. Must be able to communicate professionally with clear and legible writing.
Must be able to successfully complete mathematical aptitude evaluation.
Must be capable of applying sound business judgment to all decisions.
Certificates, Licenses, & Registrations
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Regularly requires sitting, walking, bending, and lifting for prolonged periods of time.
The employee must have a full range of body movements including the use of hands, feet and fingers to handle or feel objects, use tools and equipment, and must be capable of bending, reaching, and crouching.
Must have command of all five senses sight, hearing, touch, smell and taste. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust and focus. Must hear and speak well enough to conduct business over the telephone or face to face.
Must be able to lift up to 100 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical place of employment will be 12208 US Highway 34, Grand Lake, Colorado. The area covered is rural and you will encounter winter driving conditions on mountain roads and passes. On occasion, you will be required to report to work in other areas of the region. If an overnight stay is required in a location other than Grand Lake, expenses will be covered by the company.
This position may require working outside of the office either indoors or outdoors in various climate conditions ranging from very cold with snow to dry summer conditions. This includes attics, crawl spaces, and confined locations. The employee may be called upon to work in customer or service production environments on an as-needed basis. The noise level in the work environment is typically moderate.
Typical work week is eight (8) to ten (10) hour workdays, five (5) days per week, but is subject to change based on the needs of the customers.
This position can, at times, deal with a large amount of information and is “fast paced.” Supporting the workflow in the time frame allotted requires a willingness to learn and take direction, good organizational, good communication and coordination skills. Weakness in these areas can make the pace feel “fast” and stressful. GLP works hard through training and communication to support this position in being strong in each of these skillsets.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $20.00 - $26.00 per hour
COVID-19 considerations: We ask that all our technicians wear masks while at customers' location and respect social distancing.