CALL ANYTIME
970-627-3441
Grand Lake Plumbing
Grand Lake Plumbing Grand County CO
970-627-3441
Grand Lake Plumbing & Heating

Grand Lake Plumbing & Heating

Friday, 13 October 2023 20:57

How to Measure Furnace Efficiency

A Guide to Understanding AFUE Ratings for Homeowners

energy saving tips

When you're in the market for a new furnace or boiler for your Grand Lake area home, one of the most crucial factors to consider is its efficiency. Understanding how to measure furnace efficiency through Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE) ratings can help you make an smart decision.

What is AFUE and Why is it Important?

AFUE stands for Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency. It's a standardized metric used to evaluate how efficiently a furnace or boiler converts energy from natural gas, propane, or oil into heat. All new furnaces and boilers sold in the U.S. must display their AFUE ratings. This allows consumers to easily compare the efficiency of different models over a typical heating season.

How is AFUE Calculated?

The AFUE rating is calculated as a ratio of the annual heat output produced by a furnace or boiler to its annual fuel consumption. For example, an AFUE of 90% means that 90% of the energy in the fuel is converted into heat for your home, while the remaining 10% is lost through the exhaust or other inefficiencies.

Limitations of AFUE Ratings

It's important to note that AFUE ratings don't account for all types of heat loss. For instance, they don't consider heat lost through your home's air duct system, which can account for as much as 35% of total energy loss. Therefore, when upgrading your HVAC system, it's highly recommended to consult with a certified HVAC technician to assess your home's ventilation system.

Why Choose a High-Efficiency Furnace?

Choosing a high-efficiency furnace can significantly reduce your energy bills during our long Colorado winters. It's an investment that pays off in the long run, not just in cost savings but also in reducing your carbon footprint.

Tips for Maximizing Furnace Efficiency

In addition to choosing an efficient furnace, there are other steps you can take to improve heating system efficiency. This includes scheduling regular maintenance checks to ensure your system is running optimally.

Sealing gaps around windows and doors and properly insulating your home helps retain heat and reduce the workload on your furnace.

Smart Thermostats

The type of thermostat you use use will also have a significant impact on system efficiency. Consider installing a smart thermostat for more precise control over your heating system. By learning your household's routine a smart thermostat automatically adjusts the temperature, ensuring that your furnace and air conditioner run only when they are needed.

Understanding AFUE ratings is essential for any homeowner looking to invest in a new heating system. By choosing a high-efficiency model and taking steps to minimize heat loss, you can enjoy a warm, comfortable home while saving money and energy.

Page 5 of 44
  • "Thank you for the service. I want to let you know the technician Sawyer was professional, thorough and fixed our problem in less than 1 hour. I will recommend GL Plumbing to others."
    – L.M. 10/25/16
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3